Tuesday, October 1, 2013

World War Z






It has been a while since I've just straight-up reviewed a movie, and luckily I got the chance to check out a recent DVD release, so let's check out World War Z!




















World War Z
2013 (PG-13)
Starring: Brad Pitt, and other clearly less important not-Brad Pitt people

Premise: Based on the book (by title only), Brad Pitt plays Gerry, a former United Nations investigator who is tasked with finding the cause of a zombie epidemic.

I like to joke around that if there were a real zombie apocalypse, it'd be over in minutes, because all the college students and rednecks would be out on the streets, guns blazing. If it were anything like the apocalypse in World War Z, we'd be screwed.

This to me is a fresh twist to the zombie genre. The shuffling hordes are fun to watch in the old black and white "Night of the Living Dead" but in real life, they'd stand no chance except maybe against a very slow-paced elderly population. The zombies in this movie honestly scared the crap outta me. When first seen in the beginning, I nearly jumped out of my skin at how hard these things fight for their food. Don't expect any shuffling goons in this movie!

That said, the movie is far from perfect. Any sci-fi/fantasy movie needs a very healthy does of willing suspension of disbelief. However, I still like to keep a tally of "well THAT was convenient" moments within movies as well. In recent memory, "Man of Steel" (2013) stuck out to me, as Lois Lane seemed unkillable, even unwoundable. Pitt's character suffers a similar flaw in this movie. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that, zombies aside, there are only so many times that you can survive such horrid accidents with no medical or advanced military training.

The cast is strong, I honestly didn't see a weak link in the whole bunch, which helped add to the realism. And the non-zombie scenes did very well to staple the movie in reality.

Verdict: 9 brains out of 10
Very believable. If a zombie apocalypse really breaks out, I'd expect it to go something like this movie. Well, for the most part.

2 comments:

  1. Curious Mister Bens, but have you seen 28 Days Later? I feel as though you should have, cause it's not terribly new. But to be to the point, there's some pretty brutal zombies in the movie as well.
    It does sound like the "find what's causing these zombies" is an interesting take for zombie movies, so I'll give it that and maybe watch it someday. Just didn't really interest me too much from the trailers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen both 28 Days Later, and 28 Weeks Later. I like the idea of "rage monsters" as opposed to "zombies" but I'm not always a fan of the "amnesia survivor"

      Delete